Re: [OM] 85/2 vs. ... 90/2!!!

Subject: Re: [OM] 85/2 vs. ... 90/2!!!
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 21:11:15 +0000
At 20:56 1/5/02, Richard asked wrote:
All these talks about 85/2 etc., how do they compare to the 90/2?

p.s. I think I read somewhere that there are some 85/2 that are not so good. Are they written by heretics?
[snip]

Yes, they're authored by heretical 90/2 owners envious of those who successfully use the smaller/lighter 85/2 with extension tubes.

Seriously:
The lens was likely reformulated from the original. Within the range of literature there, 4E/5G and 5E/6G formulation descriptions are found within the range of literature. I recommend the later multi-coated version. The lens has a floating element for close distance correction which has worked very well for me. The comments you've seen or heard about are likely confounded with the early SC version and the later MC version. As well as the combination of 85/2 with the OM 7/14/25mm tubes or Vivitar 12/20/36mm tubes has worked for me I've never felt the need to pursue the 90/2 macro (which, BTW, *is* an outstanding lens).

-- John