Re: [OM] Digital camera downfalls

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital camera downfalls
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2002 00:05:18 -0800
on 1/5/02 9:47 PM, Olympus at olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> Not that I know anything, but isn't compact FLASH, ah, FLASH EEPROM?
> Static
>> RAM would require current to keep the content.
>
> DRAM (Dynamic Ram) requires current to keep state.  SRAM (Static Ram) does
> not.  Thus the word "static".  (No sarcasm intended and should not be read
> as such, but as and explaination)
>
> EEPROM's are static also, but can be erased by UV bombardment....

EEPROM's are Electrically Erasable... (usually by a higher voltage on the
write pins in some combination. EPROM's are often but not always erasable,
and almost always the erasure is done with UV light (intense, not the
sun-tanning kind).

Compact Flash and SmartMedia use NV-SRAM which is Non-Volatile meaning once
written it remains in a readable state without needing electrical
refreshment like regular DRAM and therefore no power needed. NVSRAM can be
'erased' by being overwritten, I think the erasure of CF and SM cards is
done similarly to erasing files from a hard drive; the file directory is
changed to show 'space available' then the data in the cells is overwritten.

Over the years I've done a fair amount of purchasing (my profession) of
various kinds of *RAM components... there are some newer technologies that
may eventually surface. Memory of all kinds is at historically cheap levels
right now, like never before...
--

Jim Brokaw

512MB in my old PowerCenter Pro, that's all it will hold...