[OM] Camera design question

Subject: [OM] Camera design question
From: "Olympus" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 09:45:44 -0800
Since I have not slept in over 40 hours..  the question probably won't make
sense to me tomorrow.. but..

As far as camera design, has anybody thought about designing a 35mm more
like a large format??

Ground glass back, see the lens straight through, and the film FLIPS DOWN,
in place of the mirror, there is no mirror, and there is no need for
curtains either, the mirror duration would be it...  Straight passthrough,
with the film flipping down for exposure time control.  This would make it
very small, push that plane very far forward which means the camera body
would be smaller, do a double spring and your shutter speed can be as fast
as you want it to be (well, within mechanics limits), and because the film
plane is closer, the lenses can be a lot smaller.  Parallax, is impossible,
the image you see is slightly bigger than what would be on the film, but
only by like 2-50r so; DOF preview is easy to do, and if you have a
translucent LCD film in front of your ground glass, you can actually setup
the composition, and touch the locations on the screen you want to do spot
metering on.

Am I smoking crack, or has something thought/done this before??  Exposure
can have instead of a mirror lockup, a "film lockdown" in the correct plane.

The only difficulty is keeping the film plane rigid and consistant.  I have
not figured out how to prevent light leaks to the film, as the film will
have to cross two planes, but I'm working on it....

maybe if I get some sleep, it'll come to me by the afternoon..

Albert