Re: [OM] OM-2n Auto exposure problem

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2n Auto exposure problem
From: john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 23:35:06 +0000
On Sun, 06 Jan 2002 18:03:31 -0800, Jim Couch
<JamesBCouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I am wondering if anyone has run into this before. Pulled the 2n out to
>do some shooting today and ran into a problem I don't recall having ever
>experienced before. The OM2n is having problems with auto exposure only.
>When on AE the shutter will stay open for a long period of time (over 10
>seconds.) If one flips the switch to manual the shutter closes. If one
>points the camera toward a very bright light it will also close. The
>camera appears to function fine in manual mode (I will know more when I
>process the roll of film I had in the camera.) Batteries checked as
>good, and I swapped them with my OM-4T batteries with no change.
>Batteries in both cameras are eveready 357s. I will most likely wind up
>sending this in for a CLA, but I was wondering if anyone had any
>suggestions as to something I may have missed before I did.

This often happens if the ASA resistor or its contacts are dirty. (It
lives under the film speed/exposure compensation dial.  It often
happens after a period of non-use, as it has for you. You can
sometimes cure it temporarily (and diagnose it) if you turn the
compensation dial back and forth a number of times before exposing. If
it works OK then, that's the problem. CLA will fix!

The reason it happens is that the effect of the dirty contacts is to
tell the auto-exposure circuit that the film speed is very, very low.
It thinks it has say 1ASA or less (!) and behaves accordingly!

My son is manager of a photo shop and he (and I) have seen this a few
times on OM2's. The same thing can happpen on 2sp's, except that the
shutter speed goes way too high on those.

BTW it's NOT a sticky magnet, otherwise the shutter would hang on
manual too.

Let's know what you find!

Regards

John Gruffydd (Mold, Wales, UK)