Re: [OM] Auto Show photography?

Subject: Re: [OM] Auto Show photography?
From: Acer/Siddiq <waltherppk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 01:21:47 -0800
1/7/02 11:13:16 PM, Michael Darling <cosmo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I'm thinking of hitting the Philly auto show in the next couple of days and
>maybe taking my clandestine kit along (OM-2s, 50/1.4, 28/2.8).  I assume I
>can get away with taking some pics so long as I don't use a flash to draw
>attention to myself...  Am I right?

Been there, done that, LA auto show, 195-200 shots taken. Expect scans this
weekend.

>As far as film goes, I plan on pushing some Tri-X to 800 if needed.  Also
>may have a roll of P3200 stashed away that I can dig up.  Any suggestions on
>fast color emulsions?  I'm thinking I might be safe with 400 ASA but I'd
>like to get _some_ DOF in my pics.

Minimum is 400, get 800 and you'll be fine. 28 is nice for full car shots, and
exagerrated up close "mean"
car shots, 50 is a little long, but it will do for those cars you can't get
close to (mega dollar stuff). 35 would
be the nice length to have. With wide lenses, you dont need to worry about DOF.
Stick a 28, and shoot 5.6
or 8 easily with handholdable speeds. Lighting will NOT be a problem! If you
want to do interiors, must get a
24 or wider... I wish I had that but oh well.

>Now if I'm going to both color and b&w, I might just need that extra OM...
>Thank god for winter and bulky parkas with lots of pockets :)

KEEP IT SIMPLE! I took two bodies, 50 and 28 lenses, and pocketful of film. No
flash (altho there were ppl
using flash). Personally, i say skip the flash, you'll be up close and the
flash will only get you hotspots.
there's plenty of light. Less gear, fewer worries, more fun! Budget an ENTIRE
day. I had bro and cousin's
along, and they were getting slow as the day wore on. ABout 45mins minimum wait
to get into the show,
figure at LEAST 8hrs to go thru it all. My advice: get there EARLY and first
off hit the cars you really want
(Porsche, Ferrari etc), as those will be near impossible to photo once the
crowds start.

haave fun, let us know how it goes.

btw, try out the Saab seats.... the best, can't be beat (but then I'm a saab
nut!) second place Volvo, third
place Lexus. VW and Mitsu have the slickest manual transmissions. MB CL600 has
the msot complex seat.
Bimmers, AUdis and Acuras are disappointing. blah blah. I could go on and on :)

/A/S
--
dum spiro, spero
http://users2.ev1.net/~wesiddiquis/siddiq/