[OM] Slides

Subject: [OM] Slides
From: "Charles Monroe" <chasmnro@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 11:04:43 -0500
    I'm kind of backing into slides once again
after a hiatus of a little over thirty years. I
started with a Argus C-3 in the early 1940's,
moved on to Leica (subsequently stolen),
Rollieflex (crushed in a move),  Maymia TLR,
Nikormat (the underwater one) and in 1973 my OM-1.
Stopped shooting slides about 1969 and color
negative ever since.

 Question:
        1.  The only slide film available locally
is Elite chrome 200.  My usual shooting now is
family scenes, outdoor on the water, and
occasional travel.  It will not get much more
exotic than that.
            a.  What are some recommended film(s)?
            b.  I'll need a mail order source
preferably here on the US East coast. Suggestions?

        2.  I have been using a mail order photo
processor for years and would like to keep doing
so.

            a.  Any recommendations for a mail
order slide film processor?

        3.  My current mail order processing lab
will make floppies or CD's at same time as the
color negative  processing but does not offer this
service with slide film.

            a. Does any lab offer this service?
            b. If not, and I really don't want to
invest in a dedicated slide copier unless I
really, really have to, is there some lab that I
can send my slides to for scanning on a CD?
            c.  If that is prohibitively expensive
is there any flatbed scanners that I can use to
scan slides and still do the usual flatbed scanner
tasks?

    This is asking a lot but I'm counting on the
diverse knowledge on this List to be of help.  All
comments and suggestions either on the List or
private are welcome.
    Thanks.
Charles Monroe