RE: [OM] [OT] two OM items for sale -> browsers

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] two OM items for sale -> browsers
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 13:19:56 +0100
Hi,

An OT rant here, no offence intended, so I hope none is taken.

> Actually it worked fine for me using Netscape (4.79) so I would suspect
that his
> problem is related to something else.

Wow, I must admit that I'm a bit surprised at how many people still use
Netscape as their main browser. As web development is one of my main
responsibilities, I can tell that IE is by far the better browser when it
comes down to style sheet and DHTML support. In fact, the NS4 browsers are
frustrating the heck out of me, due to their poor DHTML/CSS support. NS6+ is
already a LOT better than NS4 (at least where CSS support is concerned), but
still the more sophisticated pages tend to look crappier in NS6 than in
IE4+.

I can only recommend people to use IE browsers (and this advice is coming
from someone who does NOT particularly like MS products), or if they insist
on using NS, to at least upgrade to V6+.

IMO, NS only has itself to blame for having lost the competition with IE,
sure enough, MS had a very mean way to "promote" (ahum!) their browser, but
up till version 3 of IE and NS, NS was the better browser, but then they
messed up, and IE quickly overtook NS quality wise.

Just my 2 eurocents...

Cheers!
Olafo

PS: For those who want to see an example of NS4 browsers goofing up even
simple DHTML/CSS pages, point any NS4 browser to www.secondhandcameras.nl
and then after having taken a good look at the way the background image is
rendered, as well as the input fields, they should re-visit the site with an
NS6+ or IE4+ browser; what a difference that makes!