[OM] Re: P400

Subject: [OM] Re: P400
From: "Sue Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 10:56:49 -0600
I've seen quite a few prints from the P400, and they do, indeed, blow away
inkjet prints, and in fact, seeem to be quite an improvement over the more
expensive Kodak dye sub printer.  The results are very, very close to a
photo print. There is a bit less ultimate clarity, because of the different
surface.

I'm thinking there is a difference between ink or dye deposited on the
surface of a paper, and dyes embeded in a multi layer emulsion. I would
compare the difference between a high quality photo print and the dye sub
prints as similar to the difference between a B&W glossy RC print and one
made with FB paper that has been ferrotyped.

The reason all the prints are glossy is probably because, assuming the P400
is like other dye sub printers, the final pass is a clear protective layer.
Really, though (here's fruit for a flame war), you should be ordering glossy
anyway, as matte finish gives a loss in sharpness.

I've often thought that the biggest scam in inkjet printers is the cost of
paper. Compare the cost of a sheet of inkjet photo paper with a sheet of
Kodak or Fuji photo paper. The inkjet paper, despite its lack of an
expensive emulsion, costs two the three times as much. I suppose this, and
the ink costs are like the old razors: give them the razor and sell them the
blades.

Bill Pearce