Re: [OM] OT-150-500 NOW TOK

Subject: Re: [OM] OT-150-500 NOW TOK
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 14:07:10 -0800
I have a Tokina AT-X 150-500/f5.6. I've been very pleased with it. It gives a whole new dimension to the idea of 'reach' for close-up work. With a reproduction ratio of 1:3.5 at close focus at 500mm it gets closer than a lot of 'macro focusing' zooms and does it at 8 feet! I've done flower pix that I like a lot even closer with an extension tube. As with most flower pix, only the central subject is in focus, so I can't speak to edge sharpness with an extension. I think 'APO' is a bit of hype by the seller. The AT-X lenses use low-dispersion glass (They call it SD, but it's the same technology that others call LD and other proprietary acronyms and Tamron used in the SP lenses), but they don't claim to be apochromats. I've compared it informally to a Tamron 500/8 mirror lens and much prefer the results with the Tokina. Not only is the Tokina sharper (with nice, smooth bokeh), but it gives control over DOF with its variable aperture which is critical at long focal lengths. OTH one can hand hold the mirror lens and the zoom is too big and heavy for most people to do that with it.

My experience and what I've heard lead me to believe that performance would be about the same for a Tamron SP, which is an Adaptall lens, 200-500/f5.6.

Focal Length      150-500       200-500
Aperture            f5.6          f5.6
Min. Focus 2.5m 2.5m (1:3.5 repro ratio - macro by advertising standards!)
Length            314.5mm        365mm    (both with Nikon mt.)
Max. Dia.          104mm         105mm
Weight             2230g         2724g
Filter size
  Front           95mm          95mm
  Rear           35.5mm         43mm

The Tokina is rarer. I paid $445 with a much more useful Tamrac case than the case either this Tokina or the Tamron comes with. I've seen one other on eBay since. I think it was more $$, but don't seem to be able to find my note on it. Tamrons have gone for $318-750 on eBay over the last year or so.

Overall, I'm happy I stumbled on the Tokina before a Tamron. It's shorter and lighter and covers a greater focal range.

Timpe, Jim wrote:

Would help if I double checked things before I hit send.  It's a Tokina
lens, not a viv.

I know this isn't an OM mount, but is anyone out there familiar with this
lens.  Quite an impressive piece of glass.  Interested in any
comments/observations.