Re: [OM] 6x4.5 compared to 35mm?

Subject: Re: [OM] 6x4.5 compared to 35mm?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 00:15:04 +0000
At 04:28 1/11/02, Olympus asked:

Dave wrote:  " . . .  it will probably
be 2 1/4 square for reasons beyond your question."

Please Dave what are some of the reasons?  I've a Mamiya back on my Graflex
and it's 6X7.  It's kind of hard to move to vertical, but I'm interested in
other reasons.
M.E.Bachofen

I'm interested in the reason as well.  I have been reading all last night,
and I have to say, Mamiya has done a great job selling me on a 6x7 format,
especially in the studio...

Albert

M.E.Bachofen may have different reasons for wanting square format . . .

The Mamiya M645's big brother is the RB-67. It has a rotating back so you can turn the back to create a "vertical" image without having to turn the camera. This allows makes using a waist-level finder (WLF) much easier. The M645 only has film inserts, not a removeable or rotateable back. In order to compose a vertical format image, the entire camera must be turned on its side. This is more than a royal PITA if using a WLF. If you are considering an M645, I highly recommend getting one with a prism finder. If that's not possible, then make that the first accessory you buy for it! Although I recommend using a tripod with the M645 if at all possible, the #2 accessory when using a prism finder hand held is the hand grip (has a shutter release trigger built into it)!

Other considerations about RB-67 and M645:
(1) 6x7 WILL allow even greater enlargement than the M645. 6x7 can go to about 20x30 before needing to worry much. The limit for 645 is about 16x20. (2) 6x7 is much bigger and heavier. OK for studio, but can make a difference in the field if the camera gear must be carried for long distances, unless you have a pack mule or hire porters.
(3)  6x7 lenses are slower and more expensive.

It's all tradeoffs

-- John