Re: [OM] 6x4.5 compared to 35mm?

Subject: Re: [OM] 6x4.5 compared to 35mm?
From: Michael Darling <cosmo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 00:19:34 -0500
on 1/10/02 11:28 PM, Olympus at olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Dave wrote:  " . . .  it will probably
> be 2 1/4 square for reasons beyond your question."
>
> Please Dave what are some of the reasons?  I've a Mamiya back on my Graflex
> and it's 6X7.  It's kind of hard to move to vertical, but I'm interested in
> other reasons.
> M.E.Bachofen
>
> I'm interested in the reason as well.  I have been reading all last night,
> and I have to say, Mamiya has done a great job selling me on a 6x7 format,
> especially in the studio...

I use a 6x6 system. They're good since you can get both vertical and
horizontal 8x10 enlargements from the square negative.  Of course, you're
cropping to 645, but you get more options in the darkroom.  I've got the
finder masked with black squares in the corners to show both vertical and
horizontal compositions.

Sometimes I print the photos square.  8x10, 5x7 and the likes get kind of
old after a while, at least to me.