Re: [OM] 6x4.5 compared to 35mm?

Subject: Re: [OM] 6x4.5 compared to 35mm?
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 02:12:51 -0800
Doesn't anybody crop and make prints the shape of the image of interest anymore?

I was at a meeting of some photographers a few months ago. This one guy with a Hassleblad had taken lots of pictures on a trip to Japan. He printed them up at about 24" square. Technically excellent, but I could tell I wasn't the only one who wanted to get out the cutter. There was a stunning about 8x18" vertical image aching to get out of one square and maybe a 24x12" horizontal wishing to lose the uninteresting and distracting lower part of another square. This guy is trying to become a professional.

24x36, 6x6, 6x7, 4x5, 4x6, etc. etc. Images that engage have their own shape inherent in them. Paper can be cut. Custom frames aren't cheap and homemade ones are expensive in time, but mats are cheap.It doesn't matter what shape the film is or the paper is, what shape is the image? I think the MF/LF comments are right, time to get involved and interact with the image before making it generally improves the result. Just don't let the shape of the viewfinder take over your creative function.

End of IMO rant. Just looked at some recent pics and realized this rant is to myself. Anyone else choosing to receive benefit from it is welcome.

Moose