Re: [OM] 35mm vs. 6x7???

Subject: Re: [OM] 35mm vs. 6x7???
From: "Olympus" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 02:54:43 -0800
> > Given the difference.. WOW!  I'm curious, I understand field work,
action
> > shots, etc..  BUT, why would someone use a 35mm in the studio then??
6x4.5,
> > 6x6 or 6x7, just has such HUGE advantages it's not funny..  Ok, I'm
doing
> > the math here..
>
> Well...price, for one thing.

Not true.  Mamiya RZ Pro kit's on evilbay are floating below $1500.  That's
cheaper than a N*kon F* and one or two lenses..  So I don't think that is
true.  Maybe the preception of price...

> A decent pro MF camera body has about the same price as a Wunderbrick
> Fxx with high-quality glass. With the reasonable fine-grained,
> slow films available, plenty of light in the studio and the (usually very
> limited) requirements from studio fotos), it's a reasonable compromize to
> use 35mm. Fact is, that most studio prints probably do not go into very
> high enlargements, and most customers are satisfied with what they get
> from the 35mm (colored brochures are limited by the printing quality,
> and family portraits rarely go into wall-size anyways).

Probably.  Most consumers never seen things from an MF film, and so they
probably have no idea the quality differences..  But now that I do, I'm
going to ask for MF for my studio portraits..

> More "dynamic" studio-types that I've known also tend to move about with
> the camera in the studio (not on a tripod). That's easier with 35mm.
>
> That said, though, I agree on your notion that MF clearly is better for
> big enlargements. However I think that MF complements the 35mm format well
> - they both have their uses.

Agreed.  If I'm running around, a RZ is probably not a choice.  (An OM1n
would be!)  :-)