Re: [OM] Wide angle on the cheap

Subject: Re: [OM] Wide angle on the cheap
From: Wayne Culberson <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 08:46:27 -0400
> So, how about some
>recommendations from the low cost side which includes:

>Samyang 18-28mm f/4-4.5  (don't know who sells it)
>Phoenix 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 (and I assume the Vivitar Series 1 19-35mm is
>this same lens) (B&H $139.95 and $149.95)
>Vivitar 19mm f/3.8 (B&H $104.95)

>Given the difficulty of making a wide angle zoom I'd guess that the
>fixed 19mm is probably the best performer. My feet zoom pretty well too
>so I don't mind the fixed focal length.  But, if either of the zooms is
>a reasonable match for the fixed 19mm I'd do the zoom instead.

>Anybody got any strong opinions on these?

        I would also be interested in some various opinions on these 4 lenses,
as I've been considering buying one of them for some time now. Smile
Photo has the Samyang 18-28, and Tristate Camera has one listed under
vivitar 17-28. The same lens maybe? Anyone had any experience with Smile
or Tristate? Seems I've heard that dealing with Smile can wipe the smile
off most anyone's face.
        If the vivitar and phoenix 19-35 are the same lens, would the vivitar
still be worth the extra $10 for resale purposes?
Wayne