Re: [OM] Pushing film

Subject: Re: [OM] Pushing film
From: John Hudson <jahudson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 09:52:29 -0800
Olympus wrote:

> Question:  What does it mean to "push a film"?
>
> So when the magazine says, "you can push the film up to two stops" what does
> that means??
>
> Thanks.
> Albert

Looking through my collection of photo books, including Ansel Adams,
Andreas Feininger and others, there is no mention of "push" or "pull" as
separately identifiable entries in the respective indexes. One of
Feininger's books goes into great length about under and over exposing
in the camera and compensating with over and under development with
illustrations to support his writing but nowhere are the words "push"
and "pull" to be found.

Considering that Feininger was writing in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s
when films' exposure latitudes were likely not as wide as they were
today it is strange that the "push" and "pull" terminology is not more
evident in the literature.

John Hudson
Vancouver, BC