[OM] Back from Palmyra (and Midway)!

Subject: [OM] Back from Palmyra (and Midway)!
From: "johnsonpa" <johnsonpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 14:10:38 -0500
Hey Gang!
Well, some of you may remember me soliciting advice over and over back in
August about a trip I was about to take.  I took all of the advice and put
together a reasonable kit that served me well on my travels.  Thanks to all
who helped me out.  I've been pouring over slides and prints the past couple
days and am thoroughly pleased with some of my shots.  Others were somewhat
disappointing, but I did manage to capture a couple images which will
hopefully make the viewer stop, think, and observe before moving on to the
next.  That is all I ever ask for in a photo.
In any case, Palmyra was magnificent.  The heat and humidity were
overwhelming at times (85 in the shade, 95 in the sun, humidity around 90%,
lots of rain and light winds), but it was worth it.  I managed to extend my
stay on Palmyra 4 weeks beyond my planned 12 weeks and again to travel in
Hawaii for three weeks and a week on Midway Atoll.  Recreation on Palmyra
consisted of world-class bonefishing, snorkeling and scuba diving.  I
managed to burn through quite a few rolls but less than I had hoped.  There
were restrictions on exploring the islands, and disturbing the nesting sea
birds was severely frowned upon.  I also had to work...a lot.  I spent most
of my time washing dishes and doing the laundry, but I also led snorkeling
trips, guided a guest bonefishing, worked to level the runway and maintained
the camp.  The work was not necessarily physically demanding, but my day
started around 5:30 a.m. and didn't end until 7:00 p.m. or so.  Breaks
consisted of an hour here or an hour there, which was not really enough time
to explore anything other than my immediate surroundings.  I did take my
days off to explore the main island and take photos, but I'll confess that I
was quickly hooked on bonefishing and spent much of my time on the flats.
I was also fortunate enough to arrange a trip to Midway Atoll to help count
the Laysan Albatross.  I spent a week there and thoroughly enjoyed another
remote Pacific Island.
I'm working on a slide show and would like to get some photos on the web, so
I am turning to the list for help.  I have a flatbed scanner, so I can get
some prints on the web.  However, my past efforts have been pretty
disappointing.  Since I am out of the loop on the latest and greatest film
scanners, does anyone have any suggestions?  I have always heard good things
about the Acer Scanwit and Polaroid SprintScan 4000, but I don't even know
if these are available anymore and how much they now cost.  What are your
suggestions?
Where are people putting pictures now?  I used to use NBCi, but they are
gone.  Is there any free webspace out there anymore?
Also, I want to show my best slides to my family (they don't seem content to
lean over the light table :-), but I remember some discussion about colors
fading after only short periods of projection.  I shot Fuji Velvia, Provia
100F & 400F and some Kodachrome (not arrived).  Should I wait to copy and/or
scan my slides b/f I stick then in a projector or can I project an image for
a few seconds and not have the slides fade immediately?

Thanks for the advice!
I'll send more details of the trip if there is interest, but I am swamped at
work and still busy unpacking.
it's good to be back (...and I see that the volume on the list hasn't
slacked off any :-)
--p.j.

...and a special hello to Ken (how's my 600?), Chris O' (are you still
commander-in-chief of ZA?), Tom (still the enabler, I'm sure :-), Olaf (no
sign of the 28/2 element after 1 1/2+ years) & Rudy (found any more VST-1s
lately?)