Re: [OM] Back from Palmyra (and Midway)!

Subject: Re: [OM] Back from Palmyra (and Midway)!
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 19:48:07 +0000
Hi!  Good to hear you got back safely, and it sounds like it was a hell
of a trip.  Looking forward to seeing those photos!  How many rolls did
you take in the end?

> I'm working on a slide show and would like to get some photos on the web, so
> I am turning to the list for help.  I have a flatbed scanner, so I can get
> some prints on the web.  However, my past efforts have been pretty
> disappointing.  Since I am out of the loop on the latest and greatest film
> scanners, does anyone have any suggestions?  I have always heard good things
> about the Acer Scanwit and Polaroid SprintScan 4000, but I don't even know
> if these are available anymore and how much they now cost.  What are your
> suggestions?

This question has come up many times while you've been away:)  I happily
recommend the Scanwit, especially if you mostly just want to put stuff
on the web.  Really good results, and it's very economically priced.
www.photoscientia.co.uk has bags of information.  Polaroid filed for
bankruptcy while you were away, so I'm not sure what's happening with
the Sprintscan.  Other more informed voices will no doubt jump in.

> Also, I want to show my best slides to my family (they don't seem content to
> lean over the light table :-), but I remember some discussion about colors
> fading after only short periods of projection.  I shot Fuji Velvia, Provia
> 100F & 400F and some Kodachrome (not arrived).  Should I wait to copy and/or
> scan my slides b/f I stick then in a projector or can I project an image for
> a few seconds and not have the slides fade immediately?

I would't worry about fading over such a short timescale.  Someone
posted some figures on this just recently, and if I remember rightly,
Velvia can be projected for weeks before noticable fading occurs.
Project your photos without fear, and be grateful for the fact that your
family will indulge you by watching the whole thing!

> Thanks for the advice!
> I'll send more details of the trip if there is interest, but I am swamped at
> work and still busy unpacking.
> it's good to be back (...and I see that the volume on the list hasn't
> slacked off any :-)
> --p.j.

Yeah, more details!  I'm not likely to see Palmyra for myself any time
soon so I want to hear all about it!

Roger