RE: [OM] OT: Re: Yahoo Mail and HTML

Subject: RE: [OM] OT: Re: Yahoo Mail and HTML
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 15:57:32 -0700
> Waaaiitaminnute. My Netscape 6.2 mail recognizes HTML code
> and displays
> the message, not the code, so all the messages you guys have been
> shooting around 'look' like plain text to me. It's not a filter, it's
> HTML compatability. Presumably, current versons of IE,
> including AOL, do the same thing.

 Exactly. There are fout possible ways that a mail program can deal with
this stuff:

 1. Knows nothing: displays the entire thing, section borders and all -- so
you see the message twice, a bunch of extra junk, and HTML tags in the raw.

 2. Knows about MIME but not HTML -- this'll show the plaintext version and
discard the HTML section because it doesn't know what to do with that bit.

 3. Knows about HTML as well -- this'll format things up properly. (and this
is how I can tell, because all the HTML mail comes in in a proportional font
rather than fixed-spacing, which is what I see plaintext as).

 (4. knows about HTML but not MIME -- I can't see this happening in
practise).

> I can set preferrences to always send only Plain text, only HTML, or
> both, or I can set it to ask me each time.

 Yup -- I use Outlook 2000, and I've got it set to create any new mail in
plaintext. I'd like it to automatically turn all HTML mail I recieve into
plaintext as well, but it doesn't do that -- annoyingly, if I reply to HTML
mail it stays at HTML when I send it unless I manually re-format to
plaintext, which I have to do each time.

 -- dan