[OM] cropping and cheap wide angle

Subject: [OM] cropping and cheap wide angle
From: Wayne Culberson <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 21:13:04 -0400
> Doesn't anybody crop and make prints the shape of the image of
interest
> > > anymore?

        As someone has pointed out here, cropping is not really an option if
taking 35mm slides, which is a lot my photography. In thinking about
this today, this is starting to influence me towards a wide angle zoom,
like the Vivitar 19-35, rather than single focal length very wide angle.
        I'm trying to balance the value of good composition against the value
of resolution, etc.
        The thing that worries me is lens flare. I seem to get flare quite
often with mid range zooms versus almost never with mid range primes.
        Thanks to those who have offered advice. I see Cameta has put one of
their two touch wide zooms on ebay for $130. Have they been listening in
on us today? :-)
Wayne