Cropping photos - was Re: [OM] 6x4.5 compared to 35mm? - and cropping

Subject: Cropping photos - was Re: [OM] 6x4.5 compared to 35mm? - and cropping
From: Michael Darling <cosmo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 20:45:53 -0500
I've taken both intro and intermediate 35mm photography here at school in
the last year.  Both courses required that prints be full frame.  This was a
department requirement and not left up to the instructors.

Of course they were just trying to teach us to compose with the viewfinder
and not in the darkroom, and there's only so much enlarging you can do with
Tri-X at 400 before it becomes a grain festival. The 'intro' labs ( "real"
photo students - photo majors - got their own advanced darkrooms) didn't
even have four-blade easels.  The ones we had were only 8x10 or 5x7.

Now I do my work at the newspaper office.  The entire darkroom is
essentially mine, I have 24hour access, and I love it.

Mike

on 1/11/02 7:58 PM, Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx at Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> The rule I've generally followed is to have the top & side borders to be
> the same & the bottom to be bigger. Then it sort of forms a base to the
> pic.
>
> On Friday, January 11, 2002 at 13:19, Tom Scales <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote re "Re: [OM] 6x4.5 compared to 35mm? - " saying:
>
>> I once took a college photography course.  I had a brand-new paper holder
>> that printed without a border and used it for the first assignment.
<snip>