Re: [[OM] Opinions on the utility of monopods?]

Subject: Re: [[OM] Opinions on the utility of monopods?]
From: Craig Cunningham <craig.cunningham@xxxxxxx>
Date: 11 Jan 2002 23:22:49 CST
Curt,

I've read somewhere (but can't remember "where"), that the best way to
stabilize a monopod with a ball head is to (whenever feasible):
a) sit down or crouch while leaning against something
b) lean the monopod at an angle, placing the base or foot under your shoe
c) brace the upper section of the monopod against the opposite knee
d) then use the ball head to level the camera with your horizon.

Example: I sit down on a tree stump, adjust my monopod to eye level while
stepping lightly on the monopod shoe with my right foot, brace the top of the
monopod against the inside of my left knee, and level my camera...

This gives the monopod close to the same 3 point stability that a tripod does.

I use a Manfrotto 3018 all the time, while my Manfrotto 3021 tripod only gets
hauled out for shooting macro work or landscapes. On the other hand, when I
need more exercise like my doctor is always lecturing me to do, hauling the
tripod through rough terrain does one heck of a job for getting my heart rate
up.

 - Craig

"Curtis P. Hedman" <Curtis.P.Hedman-1@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Here's another question for the group - what is the utility of a
monopod?  I have been thinking about buying one recently, but a friend has
suggested that they really don't help much. His theory is that, at best, a
monopod can take away vertical motion, but that it doesn't do a whole lot
for angular motion since the camera/lens is free to move in the pitch
plane. While I suppose that is true, it seems to me that having one solid
axis has got to help hold the lens steady. I could always carry a tripod,
but I'm a little too lazy (or spontaneous) for that! I find the new Adorama
monopod (written up in Pop Photo) pretty attractive, but could just as well
spend the $$$ on something Zuiko if the utility were low. So what are
people's experiences? I like shooting at focal lengths in the 100 -250mm
range, and would like to extend to even longer length telephotos as
resources allow.

As always, any input will be appreciated!

Curt