Re: [OM] Opinions on the utility of monopods?

Subject: Re: [OM] Opinions on the utility of monopods?
From: John Pendley <jpendley@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 16:41:01 -0500
Curt wrote:

Here's another question for the group - what is the utility of a monopod?

Hi Curt,

I can't make them make any use of them. I think that the idea is to lodge the bottom end against something solid, lean the thing so that the camera or your hand is lodged against something else solid, adjust the ball head, and fire. It probably works to some degree. What I have found very useful for many years is a chestpod. Get a nice, sturdy tabletop tripod, adjust the head so tat the three legs are planted on your chest while the VF is at your eye, and squeeze them off, using all your best breathing, finger pressure, etc. techniques. I can't speak for others, but that method works very well for me.

John