Re: [OM] 35mm vs. 6x9

Subject: Re: [OM] 35mm vs. 6x9
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 15:16:06 -0800
Thanks for the info, John. I'm not sure we're quite on the same wave length here. I was talking about DOF in the final image, let's say an 8x10 print. You say under b. "if maximum allowable circle of confusion diameter remains unchanged". Since I am positing the same allowable CoC diameter for identical size prints from different size negatives (this is the same for slides, just change the names), I do allow a larger COC on the larger neg, as it will be enlarged less to produce the final image.

Another interesting thing about DOF that hasn't been raised in recent discussions is the underlying assumptions. An image does not suddenly go from sharp to unsharp at some magic distance from the focal plane. Unsharpness or 'out of focus' increases continuously with distance from the focal plane. ( I know you DOF mavens know this, but perhaps others have not thought it out.) Thus an assumption is made about the point in this continuous process where the average eye looking at a certain size image at a certain viewing distance will perceive an image to be out of focus. The allowable CoC diameter is then derived from this kind of subjective data and all kinds of wonderful calculations are made and tables published. All very well and wonderfully useful to the practical photographer. For the thoughtful photographer involved in all aspects of the dance with light and technology that creates the final image, it is useful to remember this is just a guideline that doesn't necessarily work for the particular purpose at hand.

A simple example: My right eye, while quite nearsighted, has a visual acuity (resolving power) well above average. When corrected with glasses, my vision in that eye is about 20/7 (I can easily read the 20/10 line and make out some of the 20/5 line.) That is, I can resolve detail at 20 feet that the average eye cannot resolve without being within seven or eight feet of the subject. Thus I may look at your prize flower picture at the same distance you do and say it would be just perfect if the detail in the stamens projecting forward were actually in focus (Not that I would say it that way!). My acceptable CoC diameter may be different than someone else's.

DOF tables and marks on lenses are useful. They are even more useful if their underlying assumptions, actual meaning and limitations are understood.

Moose