Re: [OM] Opinions on the utility of monopods?

Subject: Re: [OM] Opinions on the utility of monopods?
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 19:45:29 -0800
Chris wrote:

> As I wrote a few years ago to the List, I use a thing called a
> Camcane.  It is a carbon fibre walking stick with a ball on the top.
> You screw a rubber cup into the tripod bush of the camera and place
> it on the ball, thus steadying the camera.  There is also a Stalking
> Grip which is like a gamekeeper's walking stick top, a rubber
> half-hoop into which you can place your long telephoto to steady it.
>
> The Camcane extends for use with a camera, it has an elastic and
> leather (It's marketed by Billingham...) shoulder strap, it has a
> normal tripod screw in case you wish to mount a camera to it directly
> and it can take a "Rubberneck" which screws into a camera but
> provides a limited degree of movement.  I don't use it often, but I
> always carry it and use it as a walking stick, a prodder, a form of
> self-defence (the ball is quite a heavy thing ;-)) and a bramble
> clearer.

Chris, This may be just what I'm looking for, at least a piece of it. I
have an old wooden walking stick which I picked up years ago high in the
Andes. It's been used to fend off dogs and other unsavory characters.
Now I've been contemplating converting it into a monopod but hesitate to
cut and drill etc. Since the stick has a natural ball on the top perhaps
your rubber cup might work with no modifications. Could you send
approximate dimensions of the cup? Is this part available separately?
You could contact me directly if you wish. thanks.

Mike
--
Latitude 48° 32' North, Longitude 123° 7' West