Re: [OM] 35mm vs. 6x9

Subject: Re: [OM] 35mm vs. 6x9
From: John Hudson <jahudson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 21:11:16 -0800
Andrew Dacey wrote:

> >> There's been a lot of talk along these lines in recent threads. It
> >> is possible to work slowly and thoughtfully with 35mm without going
> >> through some sort of spiritual learning experience of being forced
> >> to slow down by MF or LF.
> >>
> >> Moose
>
> True, but you'll note that in my post I simply said that some users of large
> format kits say the slow pace of the format is an advantage. That doesn't
> mean that you can't work slowly with smaller formats, just that some people
> find that it helps to be forced to work slowly.

My only experience with an 8" x 10" view camera is that it took almost
an hour to get one frame shot ........... coping with about 25 square
feet of black cloth in the wind, tilting the back and front whatever
they are called back and forth, keeping the tripod from falling over,
figuring out the areas to be in and out of focus courtesy of some German
sounding rule as to where the points of focus would be, pleasing a gang
of security guards that we were not up to any mischief and answering a
whole bunch of their questions about how the camera worked, taking light
meter readings, fumbling inside portable light tents to load up the film
backs, asking people very politely to get out of the way, getting the
sun to co-operate, setting the aperture, cocking the
shutter,............ It was a fun learning experience!

jh