[OM] 400Speed Film, not so satisfying..

Subject: [OM] 400Speed Film, not so satisfying..
From: "Olympus" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 00:47:59 -0800
I just recently bought a film scanner...  I have almost always taken pics
with 400 speed film; (Fuji Superia400) and have always liked the saturation,
and the 2 extra stops plus a fast lens like the 50mm/1.8 allows me to do
indoors pretty well without a flash..  But, with the purchase of a film
scanner, I've been more than unhappy with the grainyness...  4x6's aren't
bad at all, but when scanned at 2700dpi, the grain is very visable.

What I have also found was the 28mm/f2.8 to be a bit soft..  even stopped
down.  My tokina 90mm/f2.5 is TACK sharp, and the price was great so I am
very happy with the purchase even if it's not a Zuiko...

I'm curious if anybody else there have enlarged or scanned 400 speed film,
and have, afterwards, changed to a slower speed film.  I'm trying a roll of
Reala right now, see if the 100 speed film is really that much smoother and
less grainy...

Any other slower speed film selections and recommendations welcome.  Also,
I'm sure there's techniques on how to shoot slower film, so any advice on
that is solicited and appreciated.  Yes yes yes I know, I will be saving up
for a tripod..

Thanx.
Albert