Re: [OM] 400Speed Film, not so satisfying..

Subject: Re: [OM] 400Speed Film, not so satisfying..
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:49:56 +0000
I wouldn't abandon 400 speed outright - you might just have found a film
that's not too happy in combination with your scanner.  The interaction
of the scanner resolution and the film resolution can cause 'grain
aliasing', which magnifies the apparent grain.  Some films will be more
susceptible than others when scanned.  Try a few different 400 speeds.
There's a good article about this at:

http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Grain.htm

I've scanned 400 speed films with my 2700dpi scanner, and often the
high-resolution file does look pretty bad, but when you resample them
down things improve massively.  When I resize them to 700px wide they
look just fine.  For example, this shot:

http://www.worldtraveller.f9.co.uk/photo/photos/sydney.jpg

was shot on Fuji Super G 400 (Superia's predecessor) and scanned on a
Scanwit at 2700dpi.  If I've got time I'll find my full-resolution scan
and put up a section of it to illustrate the effect.

Since that photo, though, I've become a convert to slow slide film,
especially Fuji Sensia, but occasionally Velvia.  They scan absolutely
beautifully.

Roger