Re: [OM] cool filter

Subject: Re: [OM] cool filter
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 08:03:58 -0600
At 07:15 PM 1/13/2002 -0800, you wrote:
Around here with the sun just today barely breaking 20 degrees above the
horizon at noon it seems like sunrise turns directly into sunset. If we
see the sun at all the light it gives off is very golden colored. This
throws the color balance off especially skin tones. So I was looking at
corrective filters. I don't think 80's are what I need. What about 82's?
Say 82A. Any and all suggestions welcome.

Mike

Yes, I would recommend 82A. My favorite light blue filter for this purpose is unfortunately part of my Nikon kit, and with their own goofy labeling system, it's called the B2. It seems to be just a tiny bit lighter than the 82A and really improves color balance especially of sunsets over water.

For some reason, I used the blue filter more with Kodachrome. The Fujichromes and Ektachromes seem to render up enough blue on their own to keep the balance OK for me. This is with landscape however. I haven't tried much portraiture in this kind of light. In any case, I wouldn't go with anything stronger than the 82A.

Joel W.