RE: [OM] Bugger!!!.... Under exposed it!

Subject: RE: [OM] Bugger!!!.... Under exposed it!
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 09:44:54 +0100
Hi Adam,

> http://communities.msn.com/AussieColours/lightning.msnw
>  I had the camera set at f16 with a 28mm lens. I am
> using an OM-10 so I just had to hope and pray for the right exposure and
> sure enough I got it wrong. Opened the shutter for about 20-30 sec and I
> thought that would be enough with all the activity in the sky.

At f16 on 100 ASA film, I have guesstimated an exposure time of 2-4 minutes
to be about correct (depending on the amount of activity in the sky, some
lightning may or may not get washed out due to light reflections on the
clouds, which shows up more like "flashes" than like bolts) for the
surroundings of where I live. I would suspect that in dark environments,
where you probably where, on 200ASA film one should probably aim for 1-2
minute exposures. Either way, it's always a good idea to try different
exposures to see which ones work best. When taking such shots, 2 minutes
seems mighty long --- in fact, it seems to be "mighty too long", yet, keep
in mind that the surroundings need lots of light in order to get exposed
well.

Having said that, the two shots you posted worked out pretty well. Did you
have to digitally add a lot of brightness to make the trees come out, or not
so much?

> I set a smaller aperture so that I could leave the shutter open longer  to
try and
> get a number of strikes. Can anyone tell me what the best setting would
be?
> Oh... and it was 200 print film.

Over here we only get a proper change for doing these kind of shots about
once or twice a year, so I have very little experience with them, but my
findings are that the above mentioned settings tend to work pretty well,
without too many bolts getting washed out on average. I would suggest using
100 ASA film, to be able to get more bolts, but perhaps when the majority of
the activity shows as flashes rather than bolts, 200 ASA might be better...

Good luck!
Olafo