Re: [OM] Photoshop enquiry

Subject: Re: [OM] Photoshop enquiry
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 08:41:46 -0700
At 07:26 AM 15/01/2002 -0800, John Hudson wrote:

>Does anyone know if there is a feature in Photoshop 6 which will apply
>the same effect to a sharp in focus digital image as will a soft focus
>filter on the camera lens to what would otherwise be a sharp and in
>focus negative?

John:

Sure, there are some, but I'll have trouble giving you precise advice, because
there's so many "soft focus" filter types out there, all of which (to me eye,
at any rate) produce slightly different effects on a sharp photographic image.

The simplest one is the "Blur" filter, which can be applied with a variety of
strengths, and with subcategories or types of blur (Gaussian, "Smart," Motion,
Radial).  Generally, these do the trick for me.  If the type of filter you're
thinking of is one like a "Foggy" (which increases flare/decreases contrast),
then no single filter would do the trick, but a combination might.  You'll
probably have to play around a bit.

Garth