Re: [OM] OM-3 Lack of Mirror Lock Up

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-3 Lack of Mirror Lock Up
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 14:07:54 -0800
I was suggesting that mirror lockup would be better than the 'nothing' on the 3/3Ti. Certainly the self-timer pre-fire approach is better and is what I use when I need to minimize vibration. It would be interesting to see a five way comparison of Gary's method for mirror lockup and aperture/mirror pre-fire vs Oly's recommended 'wet-ware' solution alone and with the two other methods.I'd rather take pictures of nature and people than maps, but perhaps Gary (new film could be used for the comparison only?) or someone else wants to know badly enough to try it????

Olympus' recommended 'wet-ware' solution to camera mirror/aperture/shutter vibration: " When using a tripod, hold the camera steady with both hands and press the shutter release with the ball of finger, not with the cable release."

Moose

Winsor Crosby wrote:

People who see lack of mirror lock up as a fault should look again at Gary Reese's lens tests to see the consistently poorer results with OM 1 mirror lock up compared with OM 2000 or OM 4T with self timer. Again, Olympus took the correct path to better pictures. Of course it might have been nicer to have a mirror lock up that also stops down the aperture at the same time, but considering the cost of an OM3Ti in present form I wonder how much a completely redesigned camera would have cost for this additional feature and whether anyone would buy it when you could probably get a Leica R6 for less money.