[OM] The Mall revisited!! (LONG RAMBLE)

Subject: [OM] The Mall revisited!! (LONG RAMBLE)
From: "Bolty" <boldbolty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 00:08:13 +1000
I remember awhile back when the TOPE topic was on Human Society. Tom Scales
posted a couple of shots taken at the local mall and the discussion turned
to the rights of a photographer taking photos in such a location... i.e.
being hassled by security guards ect. Well last night I took a stroll
through the centre of Surfers Paradise to take some night shots. One pub
took my eye because it is a new building but made out of sandstone (or
replica sandstone!). The outside of the building had spot lights (as you
would see on an old church or similar building) but the inside had these
groovy purple fluro type lights giving some fantastic silhouette features of
the patrons inside. So I decided to take a shot of this. Next thing, along
comes MR BURLY DOORMAN and sends me on my way (I did get a shot in
first...hope it works out!). MR BURLY DOORMAN said that the building was
not public property and because the name of the building was on the front it
was copyright (or something like that).

My understanding is that I was in a public place and because this was not
for any commercial gain, that I had every right to photograph the outside of
the building.
Any comments/feedback are welcome.
Cheers Adam