Re: [OM] The end of OM?? (+ impending new SLR)

Subject: Re: [OM] The end of OM?? (+ impending new SLR)
From: "Skip Williams" <skipwilliamsom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 09:29:33 -0500
Come on "guys"!.....This wasn't really unexpected to any rational person.

My take:

- They have stretched the existing stock of OM-System componants as far as they can and can't supply dealer orders anymore. It's been many years since the manufacturing line has run any core OM products (lenses or bodies). I'll bet the orders have been paultry anyway.

- The strategy of raising prices on sunk-cost inventory has worked, allowing them to continue to offer a prestigous, professional line at minimal cost. The profits also provided a small subsidy to the company to help with digital R&D (I'll bet it was VERY small).

- This announcement of the end of the OM-System conveniently coincides with the upcoming introduction of their professional, digital, interchangable-lens SLR. So they've weathered the storm and now have a new line to carry the high-end torch forward. The archaic OM-System ends up on the proverbial trash heap.

Personally, as I've said many time in this forum - The OM-System is dead. Long live the OM-System!

Bring on the new SLR - I'll be in the market in 2 years for something like it.

Skip