[OM] End of OM production

Subject: [OM] End of OM production
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 09:12:59 +1300
Hi fellow Zuiks

I agree with Albert, and I feel the same way about Kodachrome which seems
to be in the same death spiral.. (And I still have not heard a whisper from the
Kodachrome group  - I wonder if the person who admits people is still alive?)

However; look at the examples of Koni Omega, the Mamiya Press cameras,
older Linhof cameras and the Graflex system (and no doubt many others too -
 tell me).

No production for many years but there is still much interest and use, simply
because the cameras and lenses yield fine results. I'll bet there are many
times more OM bits around the world than there are for Koni Omega, but
Koni Omega continues.

And for the Graflex system, Bob Hutchinson has teamed up with another to
make a whole new line of MF cameras (PacPro) using Graflex bodies,
machined lens mounts from Delrin, and a range of current MF lenses from
several lens-makers.

So; take note of the position, then get back to enjoying your OM cameras.

Brian

> So don't lament over the fact the OM system is going to die.  It's ok..
> Celebrate it by taking a lot of pictures!
>
> As for me..  I await the earth shaking announcement by Olympus that their
> "new" line is an evolutionary step in the OM line, had to kill the father so
> the
> son can become king type of thing.  I hope it's a "OM-5n" probably with
> digital
> and/or film choice etc...  I expect innovation...
>
> Albert

Zuikoholics, enablers, one and all.
Feeding fantasies, emptying pockets!