Re: [OM] Unexpected Surprises

Subject: Re: [OM] Unexpected Surprises
From: Don <dong357@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 19:46:47 -0600
Those sure are some great shots!
Don
At 05:59 PM 1/16/02, John A. Lind wrote:

A few days after the New Year, I went to a friend's home to show he and his wife the basics of making macro-photographs of flowers. He has a studio out of which he does weddings and portraiture, but he had never this type of "still life" before. Mostly, his wife wants to do some artistic work. The benefit was being able to play with his studio lights again and I struck a deal that whatever I shot could be used in exhibition. :-)

Took the OM-1n which still had a half-roll of Portra 400NC in it (would have liked to use 160NC but didn't have any), the extension tubes, and the 50/1.4, 85/2, 135/2.8 and 200/4 lenses. Turn out the flower his wife wanted to photograph is and amaryllis in full bloom. These was not the small house plant I was expecting; it stands almost 3 feet tall! [My other half's idea of house plants are African violets.]

Rearranged his lighting from a "cross" setup with fill using three strobes to a single strobe for a couple shots using "loop" and then changed it to "Rembrandt" for a little more contrast. There was enough "bounce" from the walls and ceiling that fill wasn't needed. Set up the tripod with an extension tube on the 85/2 and got a frame-filling photograph of one blossom on her amaryllis with the "Rembrandt" setup:
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/amaryllis03b.jpg

Then came the unexpected . . .

I had the camera off the tripod to move it again for a different perspective from a greater distance. One of their cats showed up in the studio to investigate what was going on. Quickly pushed the tripod out of the way and managed to get three shots of the cat before he decided he had seen enough. Got this grab shot of the cat [color balance and print exposure is off making working with the scan difficult; it needs to be reprinted]:
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/amaryllis01b.jpg

A few minutes later, their 18 mo. old son escapes the room he's been penned into and he wanders in. I didn't know this beforehand, but his mother has been teaching him to sniff flowers. He even does this now with pictures of flowers! This enormous amaryllis is sitting on a short pedastal and the blossom was just about his height. You guessed it; he wants to sniff the flower and manages a good whiff about the time his mother gets hold of him at the belt line to keep him from grabbing at the plant. Before he managed to rip a part of a large petal off, I managed to get one more shot:
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/amaryllis02a.jpg

At that point we declared a "break" for our model and allowed the plant to return to its table in their kitchen.

The first one is a decent photograph, but you can bet I will use the second (if it can be printed properly) and definitely the third one for exhibition. Sometimes it's the unexpected that creates the best ones!!

-- John

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.
---