Re: [OM] Film Xrays at airports etc

Subject: Re: [OM] Film Xrays at airports etc
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 11:15:39 -0000
<Snip>
I think Brian's idea is that you carry the plastic cannisters in your
pockets as you walk through the detectors... makes sense to me if the powers
that be let you do it. Bulging pockets would probably attract undue
attention, though.
</Snip>

It may have been the usual customs BS, but on a trip to the US last year I
did just that - put the plastic cannisters in my pockets and walked through
the metal detecting machine myself.  On hearing the thing go off they then
carry out a hand inspection of anything in your pockets and make you wealk
through again without said items.  The bloke then told me that the "walk
through" machines are far worse for the film than the ones the bags go
through.

Not sure if this is true or not.  Set my BS alarm off, as the machine the
bags go through has lead curtains, etc., and big flashy lights when the
x-rays are on, and big "Danger" signs.  If the walk-through machine is
worse, how come we don't get fried ?!!!

Cheers,

Jon