[OM] tripods and museums/cathedrals

Subject: [OM] tripods and museums/cathedrals
From: "Sue Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 12:55:11 -0600
"'ve always wondered why this is. Perhaps they are
afraid the tripod somehow damages the floor ..."

Some of both. I'm amazed that floors in buildings that are centuries old,
that bear substantial foot traffic daily, withstand as well as they do. I
suspect some of the floors are not as old as the walls. Still, in cathedrals
especially, there are important details in floors that could be seriously
damaged by tripods with pointy metal feet. Rather than try to allow certain
tripods and ban others, with the attendant risk of constant complaint, they
simply ban all.

"...or is a hinderance to other
people ?!?"
They can well be a hinderance to others, in crowded urban areas. On urban
sidewalks, with their mix of locals moving quickly to their destinations,
confused tourists, and parked cars and scooters, there's trouble enough. In
the country, have at it, but when I'm visiting urban areas in Lisbon and
Barcelona this June, along with hordes of others, please leave the tripod at
home.

Bill Pearce