Re: [OM] mono/tri pod dilema

Subject: Re: [OM] mono/tri pod dilema
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 10:01:39 +1100
>On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Olympus wrote:
>
>> I got his point..  And I know that a monopod will buy me about 3-4 fstops
>> more than what I can do in hand..
>
>I think that's probably a little optimistic, unless you can be sure of
>wedging it against something solid as well.  A "free standing" monopod
>user should only expect 2 extra stops worth of stability, IMO.
>
>> But how to carry it??
>
>I tend to tuck mine into my belt when it's not fixed to the camera.
>Some sort of back strap also works well.
>
>> Also, what's the smallest one on the market right
>> now??
>
>I have a Velbon UPS1000, about 3 years old now so they may still make
>them, with a ball head from the rack of accessories at a local camera
>store.  It's plenty strong enough for an OM-4 with a 135/2.8, or a 500
>mirror.
 Ian A. Nichols                    |

Me too - it's very compact (tucks under bag flap) and very cheap (USD
$25ish - I tend to lose accessories so this is a factor). So light that I
use it with rangefinders too (colour match for a Contax G!) but not robust
-  Lever clamps, wrist strap and a spike foot if needed. Only problem is
that there is no 'flip' bracket for portrait format - a cheap ball head or
a Manfrotto/Bogen adaptor solves that.
Plus, of course, walking around with the long lens hooked over your
shoulder is so pro!
AndrewF
(just another wannabe)