Re: [OM] Film Xrays at airports etc

Subject: Re: [OM] Film Xrays at airports etc
From: Volkhart Baumgaertner <kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 01:09:04 +0100
Yo,

on Fri, 18 Jan 2002 17:46:33 -0400, Wayne Culberson wrote:

>I've carried on a pocket leatherman in the past, has scissors, small
>blade, etc. I just threw it in the basket with the coins, and have had
>no questions asked. I suspect those days are gone.

Yeah - doesn't it make you feel much safer that now, in case there
happen to be some lunatic religious or other fanatics on a suicide
mission on your flight, you won't even have a pocket knife to oppose
them? :-(

Seriously - I've sometimes wondered whether all these security
measures make sense. Wouldn't it be better, instead of trying to make
absolutely sure that no weapons, no paper cutters, no nail files,
etc., get on board (which, IMHO, is impossible, as recent events have
shown), to _require_ a certain percentage of the passengers (not
anyone, of course, but people like active or reserve military, police,
or others who carry weapons on their jobs or are otherwise licensed to
carry, some of which are on most flights anyway) to be armed? That
would most likely have prevented the hijackings and the horrible
terror of Sept. 9.

In that context, it would be no more than an insignificant detail that
this would also be better for our films.

MtFbwy,
Volkhart