Re: [OM] Airports & Film

Subject: Re: [OM] Airports & Film
From: bhinderks@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 16:46:26 -0800
At 06:36 PM 1/18/02 EST, George S. wrote:
> speed film, and you pissed them off enough, if they don't arrest you,
>they'll keep you waiting in an interview room (while they supposedly do a
>record check on you) just long enough to make you miss your flight. You're
>not going to win by threatening them or waving regulations in their faces.

Never mind even lying. about a year ago I headed out with 2 bags of
equipment (pre agreed with the airline) as carry on. As I had an
assignement I had a whack of film - all out of packaging and in a clear
baggie. When I asked for hand inspection (here at Victoria, BC) the
security personnel were curt but finally agreed (gotta admit I was testing
the system). The camera bags went through the scanner and then the security
staff decided that a "special" inspection was necessay. We spent the next
15 minutes while every lens cap (front and rear) was removed, spare bodies
opened, every accessory out and inspected etc etc the whole thing amounted
to a "get the point bub" exercise.

In the meantime I have put literally hundreds of rolls through the carry on
scanners (all 400 ISO and lower), in many cases multiple times, and have
yet to see any "fogging". Even Kodak in their latest bulletin state that
carry-on scanners in North America will not fog - it is the checked baggage
x-rays that are the problem no matter what the film speed. YMMV

Barry H