Re: [OM] Unexpected Surprises

Subject: Re: [OM] Unexpected Surprises
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 19:00:40 -0800
I will tell you, 400 speed film has been great for me... UNTIL I bought a
film scanner...  Then the quality has been too grainy and subpar to me..  Oh
well, such is life..  So I've moved to 100 speed film most of the time now,
except for the B&W's which I still shoot 400's regardless..

Hope the 400 holds and is not too grainy...  Boy, I'd love to have seen
those pics in a nice Portra 160..  But you captured the moment, and that was
just magnificent..

Albert

You might experiment with different ISO 400 emulsions. The grain aliasing with scanners is said to be quite variable depending on the emulsion. It is apparently a product of the size relationship between the scanner pixels and the film grain, not just the film grain itself. Many of the people on the scanner list I am on have found a fast film that works with their particular scanner to produce a nice non grainy scan.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California