Re: [OM] The end of OM?? (+ impending new SLR)

Subject: Re: [OM] The end of OM?? (+ impending new SLR)
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 01:29:44 -0500
On Saturday, January 19, 2002 at 1:37, Hans van Veluwen
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "Re: [OM] The end of OM?? (+ impending new SLR) " saying:

> : > - APS (Half-frame for the 90's, which will probably be GONE by 2010, : >
> surpassed by 35mm P&S and Digital) : : Given that Kodak still gets a lot of
> grief from folks who mis-load their film, : I don't think so.
>

> APS is a really neat system and it doesn't deserve to die or be trashed by
> "serious 35mm photographers". It has many advantages and not only for
> amateurs who can't load their 35mm P&S.
>
> - the reduction of film size is well-balanced; not too much so that print
> quality suffers but big enough to allow a dramatic reduction in camera size.
> Ever seen the Canon ixus, or compared the Olympus Centurion to the Olympus
> iS-300? Besides when the APS system was introduced new film emulsions were
> released to reduce grain.

The 35mm Stylus Epic / Mju is still 1/4 the size of the Centurion, and most
APS cameras. And the lens is faster.

> - the drop-in film loading is completely fool proof; you can do it
> blindfolded.

Ditto for Mju

But the other APS advantages are real.

Alas, APS seems to be about 60% more expensive for film and processing.

tOM
------------------------ http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ottawa-photo-clubs
tOM A. Trottier,        ICQ:57647974    http://abacurial.com
        758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
        +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115 N45.412 W75.714
"The moment one gives close attention to anything,
even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious,
awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself --
Henry Miller, 1891-1980