Re: [OM] Flat Field?

Subject: Re: [OM] Flat Field?
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 01:53:00 -0800
on 1/18/02 9:49 PM, Martin G Flink at mgflink@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Could someone give me an explanation of a 90-180mm Flat Field lens...Is it
> used in duplication?..Thanks,  Marty

Intended for closeups and macro work, with the assumption that that mostly
would involve copying flat images (e.g. other photos, paintings, etc.) onto
film. The optics are optimized for rendering flat 'fields' sharply, with
little distortion and good sharpness edge to edge. If you mostly shoot
flowers or insects closeups, the differences with a non-"flat field" lens
probably won't be too noticable. That doesn't stop me from wanting one,
though...
--

Jim Brokaw