[OM] [OT] (way off topic) Bicycles WAS: Italian trip

Subject: [OM] [OT] (way off topic) Bicycles WAS: Italian trip
From: Jim Couch <jamesbcouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 20:34:41 -0800
Olaf,

Nothing really, Shimano makes fine stuff most folks are very happy with
it. Of course most folks are also happy with Nikons, Canons, or Minoltas
as well. <evil grin>

In all reality, Shimano is a very large company that makes good quality
and generally very affordable stuff. It works well and people really are
very happy with it. Shimano invests a lot in R&D and has made many
innovations in the cycling industry. My gripes are that:

a.    Shimano has gotten so big they have wipped out many competitors,
leading to less innovation and choices.

b.    The stuff they make is not designed to be repaired and replacement
parts are rarely available for most components. If you wear out or
damage a shift lever for example, you usually have to replace the entire
assembly. Campy stuff is rebuildable and can be repaired.

c.    The level of interchangeability of components from differing
groups has been very low for Shimano. To their credit this has imporved
greatly as of late.

d.    A lot of the stuff, even on the high end groups, uses a lot of
plastic. The stuff, in general, is less durable than Cmpagnolo's stuff.
Campy tends to build things more durable.

Jim Couch