[OM] Some list-admin-stuff....

Subject: [OM] Some list-admin-stuff....
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <voop@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 1980 00:45:57 +0100 (CET)
Hi y'all,

Just thought that I would make public the policy I apply when
"forcefully" uns*bscr*b*ng list-members due to problems with their
mail-delivery. That way there should be no surprises ;)

        - if the receiving mail-server reports a permanent error (e.g. "no
          such user" or some such thing), I generally uns*bscr*b* that
          address immediately.

        - if there are transient errors, I normally do nothing, as long
          as they are, indeed, transient.

        - if a transient error becomes semi-permanent, i.e. if it repeates
          itself "a lot", I may choose to uns*bscr*b* that person (e.g. if
          I get an error due to "User Quota Exceeded" from the same
          address for a couple of days in a row, I will uns*bscr*b* the
          address).

        - if I get an error that mail delivery is not possible due to
          "local configuration problems" on the mail server, I generally
          uns*bscr*b* that person, and notify the postmaster on the
          receiving end to look into the problems.

If you find yourself uns*bscr*b*d (i.e. not receiving messages from the
list) at some point, and you didn't uns*bscr*b* yourself, it's probably
for one of the above reasons. If you find that you have no problems
receiving mail (whatever problem there might have been, it has been
solved), just res*bscr*b* and/or notify me to get back on the list.

That's all ;)

Any questions to the above, please feed them my way.

--thomas