Re: [OM] The end of OM?? (+ impending new SLR)

Subject: Re: [OM] The end of OM?? (+ impending new SLR)
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 20:07:03 +1100
Er - 'twas I. I'm sure (cerebral decay nothwithstanding) that during the
early days of Eastman (1880's?) before the do it yourself idea when you
bought a loaded camera and sent it back to Rochester for processing and
reloading, there was an attempt to create a more compact unit by making one
with a circular glass plate. This plate revolved with each exposure and a
number of circular images were made on it, like a disc camera. You posted
the camera back and they unloaded, processed, printed and posted you your
prints with  the reloaded camera. This preceded the era of reliable film -
the first consumer emulsions were on paper that had to be soaked so that
the emulsion could be transferred to glass for printing!
AndrewF