Re: [OM] Re: Messenger bags

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Messenger bags
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 20:14:47 -0800
on 1/20/02 4:16 PM, Bachofen at mbachofen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> That's how it works now in Texas, at least supposedly.  A motorcyclist in
> Texas, if he can demonstrate he is insured to a certain amount is not required
> to wear a helmet.  The upshot is, police don't enforce law anymore, assuming
> everyone can prove this.  Too bad more helmetless riders don't fill out their
> organ donor cards.
> M.E.Bachofen

The really bad thing is that if you espouse 'freedom of choice' (with or
without requiring the financial responsibility) peer pressure drives many
otherwise rational riders to not wear a helmet. I've ridden without a few
times (off road) and find it extremely uncomfortable. Even if it were a
legal option in California I would still choose to wear the helmet, but I
know many 'lifestyle' riders who would not (already they wear the little
beanie cap 'biker' DOT helmets) due to this 'image is everything' pressure.
IMO, image is everything *only* in regards to cameras!
--

Jim Brokaw