[OM] [OT] Where I live - was [OM] How to photograph starry night skys?

Subject: [OM] [OT] Where I live - was [OM] How to photograph starry night skys?
From: "Jon Wichman" <jwichman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 15:08:56 -0600
<snip>
> Welcome, Jon.  And where do you live that actually has a dark sky?

Well Winsor,

I live on 13 acres smack dab in the middle of nowhere!
Technically, my mailing address is Emden, MO
Actually, that is a town of about 100 people that is about two miles away.

The next closest town is one of about 400 roughly 6 miles away.

Emden is in the northeast corner of Missouri about 40 miles due West
of Quincy, IL and 40 miles NW of Hannibal, MO (those two should
show in a road atlas).

I live at the end of a gravel road that has 4 permanent residents (including
me) and,
two occasional hunters.  The nearest neighbor is at least about 2/3-3/4 mile
away.
He has one mercury vapor security light working.
In general, it is scattered properties with mine being about the smallest
and,
most people having 1-3 security lights.  Kinda like stars in the night.

I have two sodium vapor lights near the front of the property so,
I'll have to drive towards the back to do this.
The property is 1 acre wide by 13 acres long
(I had that figured out in feet once but, I forget what it was).

Both of the lights and the catfish pond (did I mention that? :) are in the
first front acre.
Well, almost everything of interest is in the first 1 or 2 acres.

The rest is pasture and woods.

The tricky part will be finding the camera(s) again in the dark without
using a light and
screwing up the exposure or, driving over them.

Maybe I can find some orthocromatic film and put red gels over my headlights
;-)

Jon Wichman
jwichman@xxxxxxxxx

To see a photo of my place,
send me a mail message where the subject line says:

"send me a picture of your place"