Re: [OM] [OT] Where I live - was [OM] How to photograph starry night sky

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Where I live - was [OM] How to photograph starry night skys?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 13:35:26 -0800
<snip>
 Welcome, Jon.  And where do you live that actually has a dark sky?

Well Winsor,

I live on 13 acres smack dab in the middle of nowhere!
Technically, my mailing address is Emden, MO
Actually, that is a town of about 100 people that is about two miles away.

The next closest town is one of about 400 roughly 6 miles away.

Emden is in the northeast corner of Missouri about 40 miles due West
of Quincy, IL and 40 miles NW of Hannibal, MO (those two should
show in a road atlas).

I live at the end of a gravel road that has 4 permanent residents (including
me) and,
two occasional hunters.  The nearest neighbor is at least about 2/3-3/4 mile
away.
He has one mercury vapor security light working.
In general, it is scattered properties with mine being about the smallest
and,
most people having 1-3 security lights.  Kinda like stars in the night.

I have two sodium vapor lights near the front of the property so,
I'll have to drive towards the back to do this.
The property is 1 acre wide by 13 acres long
(I had that figured out in feet once but, I forget what it was).

Both of the lights and the catfish pond (did I mention that? :) are in the
first front acre.
Well, almost everything of interest is in the first 1 or 2 acres.

The rest is pasture and woods.

The tricky part will be finding the camera(s) again in the dark without
using a light and
screwing up the exposure or, driving over them.

Maybe I can find some orthocromatic film and put red gels over my headlights
;-)

Jon Wichman
jwichman@xxxxxxxxx

To see a photo of my place,
send me a mail message where the subject line says:

"send me a picture of your place"

Well, thank God for the internet.  Huh?

I joined an astronomy club recently and their "dark site" is about 1/2 way between the city of Riverside and Orange County. Not much going on in the on the horizon and sometimes Polaris is difficult. It is in the middle of an area of small ranches and reservations and the security lights are a real problem. They pretty much take care of your night vision.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA