Re: [OM] Photos from Australia - long response

Subject: Re: [OM] Photos from Australia - long response
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 22:02:48 +0000
Thanks everyone, for the kind comments!  Replies to some questions and
comments:

Henrik Dahl wrote:

> Great photos Roger. Thanks for sharing.
> What's the exposure info on the Melbourne night scenes?
>
> Henrik Dahl

Let me see... the first one from high up the Rialto Towers was taken on
Fuji Sensia 400, the other two on Sensia 100.  I know for the third one,
aperture was f/16 and it was roughly a four minute exposure.  The other
two were shorter, a few seconds or thereabouts, with aperture somewhere
roundabout wide open.  The Flinders Street station shot was 30s at f/8
on Sensia 100 if I remember rightly.

> PS Your site itself also looks very nice

Thanks!  But further to recent comments about browsers, note the
different background in Netscrape or Exploiter.  Bloody style sheets :)

Dorothie Rapp wrote:

> lovely pictures!
> I quite enjoyed the icelandic ones too, having been there in 1979...
>
> cheers
> Doro

I bet there weren't too many other tourists about then!  People seem
only to have realised in recent years that there's a country out there
in the North Atlantic.  Nowadays I would wager that Iceland features in
at least one UK newspaper travel section every single weekend.  The Blue
Lagoon is ubiquitous!

David Thatcher wrote:

> Roger,
>
> ...a stirring display of some of the sights of my
> hometown, which we tend to take for granted here. I thank you.
>
> DavidT
> Adelaide, South Australia

I agree very much that we take our own locale for granted.  I have not
taken as many photos in six years in London as I took in three weeks in
Australia, and I have not even visited half the attractions here.  Must
try harder...

> "Wright, Steve (Darlington)" wrote:
>
> I noticed you list the non Oly Tokina 70-210mm f/4.5 in your kit.  How
> do you rate this lens?  I got a mint example with my recent OM4 off
> Ebay 2 months ago and I haven't used it yet. Is it work keeping?
>
> Steve Wright

It's never been a favourite lens of mine, just because a variable focal
length is really one too many variables for me.  But it seems like a
fairly decent performer.  Australia shots that were taken with it
include

http://www.worldtraveller.f9.co.uk/travel/australia/2001/photos/sydney/au14-s14-06.jpg
http://www.worldtraveller.f9.co.uk/travel/australia/2001/photos/greatoceanroad/au07-s07-37.jpg

both of which show a good lot of sharp detail on the original slide, and
have come across reasonably well on the scan.  I only really used it on
the trip because I was lacking a 135mm lens at the time, but that's now
sorted out so it's back in semi-retirement.  I'd certainly give it a
try.

Thanks again to everyone!

Roger